Σάββατο 31 Δεκεμβρίου 2011

ATHENS LONGWAVE BANDSCAN

      I checked the long wave frequencies between 23:00 to 24:00 local time, on the 30th of December 2011. 
   I used SANGEAN PR-D3L, the best receiver I own, to listen to this band. This radio does not need any extra antenna in either LW or MW as it is very sensitive. It could be the perfect receiver for these bands if it was supported with a better audio design and with effectively working bass and tremble controls.
   My reliable SONY ICF-7600GR has a similar performance but in order to reduce a certain hiss I had to use my 10 ferrite bars booster. The synchronous detector circuit of this radio certainly aids reception and shows the superior class of it, even though its audio section exhibits poor quality compared to Sony basics.
   Another radio, ETON E5, is a step weaker than the Sony regarding sensitivity, producing more hiss, while its sound is clear.
   The two smaller radios I used, ETON G6 and TECSUN PL-390, have serious problems to achieve a decent long wave reception.
   I am aware of the fact that these five radios belong to different categories but finally I would give the following rating:
   It is worth mentioning that Eton G6 worked perfectly when mated to my home brew ferrite antenna L-C circuit, and as a result, this combination outperformed Sangean alone. Unsupported G6 could not receive any signal and PL-390 detected most stations but demostrating debility. Regarding sound performance G6 is unacceptable while PL-390 along with E5 are the best, if audio is concerned.


   I placed the Sangean on the rotating tray that Americans call Lazy Susan, in order to improve directivity.
 Here is my longwave logging:

    I would say that a radio listener in Europe can find among these stations a pleasant programme to enjoy during night. 

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου